Report an Outage

ECG Celebrates 50years. +++ 50 Years of Powering the Socio-Economic Growth and Development of Ghana

Electrical Safety Guidelines


  • Electricity in our premises is such a self – evident and everyday necessity that people often do not think about the dangers that could crop up in the misuse of it.

  • Electricity can kill. Even non–fatal shocks can cause severe and permanent injury. Poor electrical installations and faulty electrical appliances can lead to fire outbreaks which may also cause death or injury. 

  • The risk of injury from electricity is strongly linked to where and how it is used. The risks are greatest in harsh conditions, e.g.In wet surroundings – unsuitable equipment can easily become live and can make its surroundings live.

  • Out of doors – equipment may not only become wet but may be at greater risk of damage.

  • In cramped spaces with a lot of earthed metalwork, such as inside a tank or bin – if an electrical fault developed, it could be very difficult to avoid a shock.

  • Extension leads are particularly liable to damage - to their plugs and sockets, to their electrical connections and to the cable itself.

  • Other flexible leads, particularly those connected to equipment which is moved a great deal, can suffer from similar problems.

  • Contact with live parts causing shock and burns (normal mains voltage, 230 volts AC, can kill)

  • Fire or explosion where electricity could be the source of ignition in a potentially flammable or explosive atmosphere e.g. in a spray paint booth.

 Ensure that the electrical installation is safe

  • Install new electrical systems that are of standard
  • Doing your own electrical work or employing an unlicensed person to do it for you is very dangerous. You and your family risk electrocution or fire outbreak
  • Damaged switches, power points, and light fittings are dangerous, and must be replaced
  • When painting, never remove switches or fittings. Even when the switch is off, there are still lethal live wires connected. Use masking tape t keep paint off fittings and switches
  • Before you enter a roof space, switch off the electricity at the main switch.
  • Use a torch to light the work areas,
  • Do not disturb or alter any electrical junction boxes
  • Keep thermal insulation away from light fittings
  • If you see any damaged or bare boxes, call your licensed electrical contractor immediately

General safety guidelines:

  • Electrical installations should be inspected, tested and maintained regularly to ensure safety.
  • Don’t try to repair wirings or appliances yourself unless you are a registered electrical worker.
  • Don’t use adapters, plugs or extension units that do not comply with regulations.
  • Avoid poor contacts when using plugs, adaptors or extension units and watch out for signs of overheating.
  • Don’t overload adaptors and socket outlets.
  • Don’t touch electrical appliances, sockets or switches with wet hands.
  • Sockets outlets installed inside bathrooms must comply with Electricity (Wiring) Regulations.
  • Fixed electrical appliances should be installed by a registered electrical contractor. Don’t use an electrical appliance with an exposed conductive part which is not earthed.
  • Don’t use defective appliances.
  • Don’t place the flexible cord of electrical appliances close to any hot object.
  • Allow sufficient space for ventilation to prevent electrical appliances from overheating.
  • Try to switch off electrical appliances especially the high current demand ones before leaving your premises.
  • Unplug appliances if they will be idle for a certain period of time.
  • If appliances operate abnormally or if there are signs of overheating, stop using, switch off power and arrange for inspection and repairs by qualified persons.
  • Have cracked, frayed, and damaged cords and appliances repaired, or clearly label them as “damaged and electrically unsafe” and discard them.
  • Never run power cords across traffic paths or under rugs or furniture.
  • Never tack or nail an electrical cord to any surface.
  • Never use extension cords on a continuous basis; remember that they are temporary solutions only.
  • If an appliance repeatedly blows a fuse or trips a circuit breaker, or if it has given you a shock, unplug it and have it repaired or replaced.
  • Halogen desk and floor lamps are fire risks; replace them with more efficient, cooler burning fluorescent lamps.
  • Don’t remove a plug from a power point on the cord; pull the plug instead.
  • Never plug adaptors into adaptors and avoid using adaptors filled with plugs where possible.
  • Switch off electrical items that are not in regular use at the plug and ensure that when we are away from the house for any length of time that you unplug and switch off electrical items as items left plugged in can be a fire risk and waste energy if left on standby.
  • Do not use electrical equipment outside if it’s raining.
  • Use the correct wattage light bulb for all light fittings.
  • Circuit breakers and fuses should be the correct rating for their circuit rating for their circuit.
  • Do not use any electrical items in the bathroom unless specially designed for use there, eg. Shavers and electric toothbrushes. Even with these items, take care not to get wet and avoid plugging and unplugging with wet hands.
  • Do not use damaged sockets, replace with care when necessary.
  • Always turn the electrics off at the mains if carrying out any electrical repairs and only attempt repairs if you know what you are doing.
  • Ensure any electrical items are of the approved standard when purchasing and keep them correctly maintained where necessary.
  • Allow only qualified individuals to repair, maintain or operate electrical equipment.
  • When working with electrical equipment, do not allow yourself or the equipment to come into contact with water.
  • Keep electrical cords away from heat sources and pedestrian traffic.
  • Replace, don’t repair, worn or frayed electrical cords.
  • Unplug malfunctioning equipment before attempting repairs.
  • Stay away from overhead electric lines.
  • Locate underground electric lines before excavating or landscaping. If in doubt, call Dig Alert


Should an accident involving electric lines occur, follow these guidelines:

ü  If a person or piece of equipment comes in contact with an electric line or if a line is down or broken, call 192. If an accident causes a fire, fight it with a dry chemical or CO 2 extinguisher. If possible, shut off the power.

ü  Don’t touch the person or any equipment involved. The line may still be energized and dangerous. Freeing someone from energized a trained rescuer such as a firefighter. Always assume that power lines are energized unless you personally know they have been disconnected, and that they could not be reconnected without your knowledge.

ü  If a vehicle is involved and you are in it, sit quietly until help arrives. Warn others not to touch the vehicle. If the vehicle is on fire and you must leave it, open the door or window and jump clear without touching the vehicle and ground at the same time; do not allow yourself to be a path of electricity from the vehicle to the ground. Be careful not to fall back against the vehicle, and to avoid any wires on the ground.




ECG at 50



Connect With Us

Head Office
Electro Volta House
P.O. Box 521, Accra
Tel: +233 (0)302 676727-47
Fax: +233 (0)302 666262
Call Center: +233 (0)302 611611

Social Media